It can be a very big shock to detect fraud within your organisation. Not only is there the concern of losing significant assets but this type of activity can also have a damaging effect on the perception of the adequacy of your systems and processes and can reflect badly on your company's own reputation. The key is to take strong, decisive and quick action.
We can help by:
- obtaining court orders to freeze assets;
- obtaining court orders to search premises for evidence;
- obtaining court orders requiring third parties to provide information to trace assets (e.g. from banks, mobile phone companies and internet service providers);
- working with trusted partners such as forensic computer experts and private investigators to trace assets;
- taking similar action around the world by working with trusted lawyers in other jurisdictions; and
- working with the Police and insurers as alternative routes to recovery (including challenging any denial of coverage by insurers if required).
Depending on the nature of the fraud, there may be other important considerations that we will be able to advise on, e.g.:
- whether employees should be suspended or dismissed; and
- whether steps should be taken to protect the company itself from prosecution as a result of the actions of its employees (e.g. self reporting to the Serious Fraud Office).